pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Favourite... Meal

I've never been a breakfast person. Growing up I NEVER ate anything before school, I remember my mom trying to force us to at least drink one glass of milk before going to school and I would rarely choke it down (it doesn't help that I HATE milk). I don't know why but I never had an appetite in the morning, I'm pretty sure my metabolism was just so out of whack due to the way I fed my body. By lunch time I would be famished, but since I never packed much of a lunch, I usually wouldn't eat much until after school, when I would get home and STUFF MY FACE. It was a horrible way to treat my body.

Since getting pregnant I have made a 180 degree turn in my eating habits. Well to be honest since getting the GDM diagnosis I have made a 180 degree turn. Not only has my body been requiring me to eat on a more regular basis but I have chosen to eat 'right' in order to provide this baby with the best possible nutrients for healthy growth. It's funny how a little training can really change a person. Now, I wake up and the first thing on my mind is breakfast. My stomach is growling and I can't wait to get downstairs and get started on my morning breakfast routine. I like to start off with a warm glass of water with lemon (this is a new addition to my routine, I would encourage you all to look up the benefits!) then I wait for 1 hour and only then do I begin my breakfast preparations, I generally switch up what I eat but it usually consists of something along the lines of a couple hard boiled eggs, a plate of salad and mixed berries with plain greek yoghurt, or perhaps a spinach smoothie with fruit, spinach and yoghurt, sometimes it's some rye crackers with cheese and cucumbers with a fruit and eggs on the side. I like to know that I have options. I also try to make sure I drink at least 20 oz of water during my breakfast to kick-start my water drinking for the day.
I find it funny that the meal that never had a hold on me growing up has now become the one that I look forward to the most. It feels so good to fuel my body for the day and to know that what I'm eating is good for both of us. :) 

Here's a quick snapshot of my breakfast today. A tossed salad with balsamic vinaigrette, plain greek yoghurt with some vanilla extract, stevia and strawberries and blueberries, and 2 eggs. 

And here's an example of another delicious breakfast. 

My green smoothie. Not quite as appealing to the eyes, but the taste is not half bad and it has nearly 2 CUPS of spinach! 


All this breakfast talk has made me a little sad that I'm done for today and have to wait until tomorrow to have breakfast again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment