pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

A season of limbo.


Well, it looks like SPRING is around the corner. I feel like I'm waking up from hibernation, I can sense the energy just boiling inside whenever I step outdoors. The air is fresh, the ground is wet and life feels new. Don't get me wrong, winter is great, but there is something about the seasons changing that is pure magic. As nature begins to wake and stretch it's exhilarating to watch and wait for the beautiful summer that's clearly on it's way, of course on the other hand, it's a time where the puddles are huge, the cars are dirty and potholes abound. I guess you could call spring a 'limbo' season, a period of time where you're really looking forward to what's to come while tolerating the present.

All this season thinking got me mulling about the 'limbo' seasons in our lives. I feel like I'm constantly stuck in a 'limbo' season, looking forward to what's to come while not fully enjoying where I am. Thinking, if only I lose 10 pounds, then I can wear that, or if only I could run 20km then I'd be a legit runner. I've got dozens of these things going on in my little pea brain. Always looking ahead while missing the current victories. I've got all these lofty goals of things that I want to accomplish and eventually I fail, and worse yet, FEEL like a failure. It's like I'm in a permanent Spring, which wouldn't be so bad if I could enjoy it, but instead I'm sitting around complaining about the wetness, the slippery roads, the potholes.

How do we learn to be happy with where we are while still reaching to achieve our dreams? It's easy to come up with the solution, harder to execute it. Wouldn't it be healthy if we could put on a pair of pants and think, "ok, this is good, thank you body for being what you are!" Or if we could go for a run and afterwards say, "wow, that distance was great, you have improved immensely".

I'm making this Spring about embracing myself where I'm at. I'm going to relish the beauty of the snow melting, the roads transformations into ponds, the utter magnificence of the river starting to flow again. I'm not going to gripe about the inconveniences of Spring and the fact that I'm dying for Summer to come. It goes deeper, I'm going to be thankful for my body where it is RIGHT now and be proud of every run I complete. I'm going to try my darndest not to complain about the imperfections. Wasn't it Paul who said, "...I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances..."


No comments:

Post a Comment