pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Runner's High

I think it's time for a running update...Well, already in the month that I've been training I've had my fair share of ups and downs. I've had runs that felt like a chore and ones where I felt like I had super human strength. So, last week I was looking at the schedule and saw that on the 15th I was supposed to run 8km, that didn't seem bad, but then I looked at the following Saturday....15km! Now, Ben and I are taking a trip to Banff next weekend and I knew that I didn't want to take 1.5 hours out of our trip to go on a run and Ben would be able to join me if it was just 8km so I decided to switch the two runs.

All weekend I dreaded that run. Saturday came and went and I never went.... Sunday morning I knew I had to get my butt in gear and just DO IT but I still managed to drag my heals and didn't make it out the door until 4:00PM. The funny thing was that once I was actually moving I felt GREAT! The first km I went at a really relaxed pace and as the run progressed I felt more and more energy building instead of the draining feeling I was anticipating. By 8km I was feeling better than at the beginning and that's when I looked up and my dad was running towards me! He had called Ben to see if he could come with me on my run and when Ben told him I had already left he decided to try to find me.

The last 6km were HARD! My dad kept the pace just slightly faster than I was going on my own and even that slight increase had me huffing and puffing. It also didn't help that while I was breathing heavily he looked like he was gently galloping along without a care in the world, all that being said I'm glad I had him, I don't think I would have pushed myself that little bit extra had I been on my own. We sprinted the last block and that is the most amazing feeling in the entire world if you ask me.

I love pushing my body, I love feeling myself getting stronger, I think I'm hooked....

No comments:

Post a Comment