pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A weekend away.

One of the things I love/hate the most about Ben is his spontaneity. As long as I've known him he has loved making spur of the moment decisions, like all traits this can be good and bad. So, a couple weeks ago Ben informs me that he bought a groupon for a 3 night stay in Banff and asked what days would work for me. Initially I was annoyed, I generally have to be the party pooper in everything and think logically, however, the more he talked, the more sense the trip made (did I mention he is an amazing arguer, I think he should have been a lawyer).

So, last Thursday we headed out. It was a bittersweet feeling, I didn't know how I was going to survive 3 days away from Ellie. Once we were on the road and the giant lump in my throat subsided, I started getting excited. We arrived in Banff mid afternoon on Thursday and the rest of the day we walked around town, looking in shops and just enjoying the environment, then in the evening after supper we went to the hot springs, which was AMAZING. We had been to the hot springs last fall but it's so much more comfortable in the winter.

Friday was our snowboarding day. I was terrified since I hadn't stepped on a snowboard in 8 years but it was amazing how quickly it came back and after 10 minutes I felt like I got it all back. It was an amazing day and it was so nice to spend it together. Ben was so patient and even though his skill FAR surpasses mine he stayed right along side me the whole day. The weather was perfect and it was total bliss! That evening we went back to the hot springs to ease our tired muscles.

Saturday, I woke up early and went for a run. Man, running in Banff was hard. The altitude is really not that much of a change from Saskatchewan but catching a breath felt near impossible. I'm glad I forced myself to do it though because I got to see some scenery that I wouldn't have otherwise. Friday afternoon we went to Johnston Canyon for a hike. We ended up doing the 11.5km hike and it was good but oh so hard! Somehow it felt like we were climbing uphill both ways.... but totally worth it, I totally want to do it in the summer. Saturday night we went to a movie and then out for pizza which was a nice little night out.

Waking up Sunday, as fun as the trip was, I was PUMPED to go home. We had enjoyed the weekend immensely but I was ready to see my baby! We had a great drive home and getting to see my little girl at the end was the perfect way to say goodbye to holidays. I think the getaway was good for us and I kinda look forward to the next one. Until then, I'm going to play hard with my girl!

Got our coffee's and we're ready to go!
 
Ready to hit the slopes.

What a view!


My view on my run, I could get used to this.



On our hike. Beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment