pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Banana 'Ice Cream'

I've always somewhat scoffed at women who complain about pregnancy cravings. I always assumed these women just used pregnancy as an excuse to indulge in their every whim. Well, I can say that I've been humbled in the last two weeks. I feel like ever since I found out about my issues with blood sugar ALL I've wanted needed is ice cream! The problem is that ice cream is NOT the best thing to indulge in when you're trying to cut sugars out of your diet. I did get some 'diet' (low fat/low sugar) ice cream which I have allowed myself to have once, but I'm still hesitant to have it as many times as I 'need' i.e. every day. 

Getting to my point....I found a 'recipe' on pinterest the other day for 'ice cream' made entirely out of banana's! I say 'recipe' because it's not much of a recipe, it's just frozen banana in a food processor with organic peanut butter and cocoa powder. I thought it was worth a shot so today I made up a batch and IT'S GOOD! I'm so happy that I've discovered an alternative to dairy ice cream that is still palatable. And since the only ingredients are banana's, peanut butter and cocoa, it's diary free, sugar free, and a good source of protein! WIN...WIN...WIN!

Let me share with you my process....

I started with 8 banana's that I already had in the freezer. I found since the banana's had already been pretty over ripe when I put them in the freezer that the banana flavour in the 'ice cream' was very strong. You can cut up ripe banana's,put them in the freezer for an hour let them freeze and use them that way. This will also minimize the banana-ee flavour.




I would recommend cutting the banana's before they are frozen. Peeling those banana's and cutting them while they were frozen was a little difficult.





I used a Vitamix (heavy duty blender) to mix up my banana's but I hear a food processor should work just fine. It did not take long at all for the banana's to become that frozen ice creamy texture. I then added my peanut butter and cocoa.



I used chunky peanut butter which accounts for the crunchy texture of ice cream. Another thing to keep in mind is that the longer you leave it in the freezer the more the texture becomes like ice cream.


I'm not going to say that this is as good as regular ice cream by any means, but when you've got the pregnancy cravings working overtime, and you're trying your darndest to eat well this does hit the spot.

If anyone tries this please let me know how you like it and any ways to improve it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment